Friday, January 8, 2010

The Gift

Last night I went to Posh for an after-job-interview drink.  I was seated with two 20 somethings on my right and two Broadway veterans on my left.  The atmosphere was convivial and the evening wore on very nicely.  The conversation turned mainly around our various attempts to get jobs as most of us were unemployed, and generally sharing our stories in and out of New York.  It was a great way to unwind after a job interview, and a better result than I've had a in gay bar in quite awhile.

One of the Broadway veterans allowed as his main job on Broadway had been as a costumer and property manager.  He offered to draw our fantasies of Broadway costumes.  The 20 somethings chose "Cats," and I chose Blanche from "Streetcar."  For a sketch done in a dark bar after a couple of drinks, the result is amazing. He drew them right in front of us, very quickly and with only a few quick grabs of the candle to check his work before he finished.




I am very grateful for this gift.  It was a pleasure to meet these people, and this sketch is a great reminder of the evening.  Art is everywhere, and sometimes comes to you unsolicited and with unimagined generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment