Friday, January 15, 2010

Flea Markets and Photography

Although I had bought a few photos here and there previously, this group of photos represents my first major purchase of photography.  These cabinet cards were found at a flea market which first appeared on Canal Street, and which then migrated to 24th and 6th Ave. in Chelsea.  It was one of those purchases where I went back several times within the space of two hours or so, trying to decide if I could really justify the purchase.

The photos represent scenes from an ascent of Mt. Hood which took place sometime during the late 1800's.  I have placed two of the photos on this post, and the rest can be seen after the jump at the end of the post.



 

It is the first image that got me excited.  The other scenes you'll see after the jump are mostly beautiful landscapes.  Though direct attribution can't be made, an appraisal undertaken by Swann Galleries noted that these are likely to have been taken by Dewert.  (I'm still trying to find information about him.)  At some point I plan to donate the photos to the Mazamas Organization, a non-profit founded in 1894 which provides education about responsible mountain climbing in Oregon.

Why I like this piece:

These photos take part in both history and art.  It must have been a struggle to lug the equipment necessary for decent photos to the top of Mt. Hood.  And it is interesting to note that the photos in general are very carefully composed.  Nothing is too off-center, and nothing is accidentally cut out of any of the frames.  This is photography that is decidedly not "point and shoot."  The photographer was committed to his subject and provided the best images he could have possibly provided.

Even if the photos are not proven to be by a known photographer, this is clearly a photographer we should know more about.  The men in the photos are relaxed with the camera, although they are posed.  It is not a surprise to them that the camera is there, and it is not really a matter of "showing off" for the camera.  Photography was welcomed as a documentary tool.

So do these "documents" partake of art?  I would say so, and that is mainly due to the care taken with composition.  Even though they are not large images, the viewer gets the sense of the spectacular vistas available to the climbers.  That can be a difficult thing to do without careful consideration of the what is seen through the lens.

What this piece reminds me of:

This reminds of the amount of time I spent walking around New York city. I came upon this flea market after a little Saturday morning tour of Soho in the early 80s. New York was not quite so set in its ways, and real estate, especially unused parking lots on weekends, was  likely to be utilized in a more slapdash manner.

Now, quite a few of the parking lots are built over with condominiums hungry for buyers, or already converted to rentals. As I mentioned above, this particular flea market migrated to 6th Avenue in the lower 20s. Almost all of the open lots that were flea markets are gone. Many have moved to some place near 38th St. and Ninth Avenue, but I haven't visited there. There is still a garage on 24th St. near 6th Avenue which has two floors of vendors, but who knows how much longer that will last.

I am also reminded that I bought a few daguerrotypes at that flea market before I bought this group of photos. Daguerrotypes are very difficult to find now, and even then I was often told, "You should have come earlier. I had some really good ones." If I were a true collector, as was my friend Carl Morse, I would have been there as they were unpacking their trunks to get the real jewels.

The rest of the photos are after the jump:



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hope you enjoyed the pics.


No comments:

Post a Comment